Sunday, April 17, 2011

anyone up for a friendly game of buzkashi?



My wife has taught me a lot about sports. That's weird. Yeah, I know. But a lot of it has been really helpful, and saved me from a lot of awkward social situations. For instance: Qudditch isn't the British term for soccer. Birdman is just a basketball player with a lot if tattoos, and not a super hero. All people who wear jerseys are not professional sports athletes even if the jersey looks professional. March madness is actually a college basketball competition and the superbowl happens every year.

For the most part I'm completely OK being oblivious to the sporting world, but sometimes my wife isn't around to bail me out of a sports conversation. In order to prepare for these situations I've tried to follow some of the popular teams and games, but that didn't work. It was just too time consuming. So I decided that if I could learn a lot about one sport that no one really knew much about, I could use that to vouch for my hetero-maleness and excuse my obliviousness to popular sports.

So I did some research and found the perfect activity: Buzkashi.

What is buzkashi? Well from my understanding its a cross between football, polo, and hell.

Huh?

Buzkashi is a middle eastern sport where groups of men ride horses around and fight for possession of a headless calf. A goat was used previously, until it was found that a calf's hide was much more durable and would last quite a bit longer. The object of the game is to gain possession of the carcass and carry it away from the other players, known as chapandaz, to a ring in the center of the field called the circle of justice. That is how you win. There are two main rules: 1. Never whip an opponent 2. Never intentionally knock an opponent off his horse.

the cow is the football, the horse is the polo
This is the hell















Yeah weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment